But December 31st challenged that in a bit way. My dad had a massive stroke. He had to be taken, via flight for life, to a hospital an hour away from his home and mine. As he began to recover we began to realize the miraculous nature of the situation, and he went from really not well at all to going home in just under 5 weeks. Then, 4 days after arriving home the doctors found a "deadly" infection and he spend another 5 days in the hospital. All his work during rehab seemed lost. Again, he is home and beginning to gain strength and ability again. I have every reason to be grateful, and I am. I am also tired and worried.
This weekend I went down to see mom and dad and try to help somehow.
This weekend we had to acknowledge that we, as a family, need help. Trying to manage things wasn't really getting us anywhere. And we all felt like we had already relied on the kindness and generosity of others entirely too much. So, deep breath in, deep breath out and ask for help. Accept offered help. And stand humbled and blessed receiving help.
And as I tried to express my gratitude to those who helped us, I realized that sometimes love looks like candy and roses. But more often love looks different. Love looks like shiny stainless steel grab bars in a bathroom, installed with love and care so that dad is safe as he showers. Love looks like a king sized bed, moved from a basement in Pueblo to a bedroom in Englewood, to provide space for mom to realize a long time dream of a "she shed" situation. Love looks like a cup of coffee and an wonderful dinner, spent with family, just checking in and laughing. Love looks like clean laundry and clean baseboards (one of my mom's love languages!) Love looks like providing time and space for mom and my niece and nephew to play games together and laugh together. Love looks like a clean swept driveway and walkway after a nasty ice and snow storm. Love looks like green chili enchilada's delivered by a neighbor. I could go on and on.
But the point is, this; so many times in the last 6 weeks I have felt sad or scared or alone. but time and time again I am reminded that even though Pat isn't here, I am not alone. Mom and dad have received more care and love than we could ever imagine or hope for.
Love looks like so many different things, and I have witnessed such great love. I am choosing to look at that beauty and put the sadness aside. It will come again some day I'm sure, but I have these amazing reminders of love to look back on and remember that I am not alone.
What pictures of love have you seen lately?
Think on that/
No comments:
Post a Comment